Taryn Allen - Stepping Into Health Advocacy: Becoming an ADA Collegiate Ambassador (3 Points)

Stepping Into Health Advocacy: Becoming an ADA Collegiate Ambassador (Ambassadorship Academic Enrichment 3 points)

This semester, I was honored to be accepted into the American Diabetes Association Collegiate Ambassador Program, an opportunity that allows me to take my passion for health science beyond the classroom and into the community.

As a Health Science major and pre-med student, I have become increasingly interested in the ways that health is influenced by more than biology. Access to nutritious food, health education, preventive care, and reliable resources can all shape a person's health outcomes. Diabetes is one of the many conditions that highlights these connections, particularly within communities that experience health disparities.

Being selected as a Collegiate Ambassador gives me the opportunity to learn more about diabetes while also developing my skills in health education, advocacy, leadership, and community engagement. I am especially excited about being able to use my voice as a college student to make health information feel more accessible and relevant to my peers and the communities around me.

This opportunity also connects closely to the kind of physician I hope to become. I do not want my role in healthcare to begin when a patient walks into an examination room. I want to understand the communities I serve, recognize the barriers that influence their health, and help people feel empowered to take ownership of their well-being.

Joining the American Diabetes Association as a collegiate ambassador is another step toward that goal. I am excited to learn, serve, and use this experience to become a stronger health advocate and future physician.

Taryn Allen (Class of 2029): Stepping Into Health Advocacy: Becoming an ADA Collegiate Ambassador


Comments

Popular Posts