Studying abroad +8 points (Kathya Lavado-Arrington, Class of 2028)

 

This summer, I participated in a two-week study abroad program to Cape Town, South Africa through the Gordon Zeto Program at Spelman College. While abroad, I took a class called “Leading Across Cultures,” where our professor, Dr. Minenhle Ncube, taught us about the history of leadership in South Africa, different types of effective leadership, and the importance of Black women in leadership. During this trip, I also indulged myself in the cultural aspect of South Africa, as I got to explore places from the top of Table Mountain and the Aquila Animal Reserve, to historically significant places such as the District Six Museum and the Iziko Slave Lodge. Along with exploring South Africa and indulging myself in their education, I made amazing connections along the way. I started off this trip only knowing a few people, and by the end, I had friend and bonds that made it's way back to the U.S.

I think this program’s greatest strength was how it connected what we learned in the classroom to real places and experiences. Being able to visit sites like the District Six Museum and Iziko Slave Lodge made the history and ideas we discussed feel much more real and personal. One challenge is that the progream was only two weeks. I felt like there was so much more we could have explored, especially when it came to reflecting on what we learned and building relationships with local South African students. In the future, I think extending the program or creating more opportunities for peer engagement would make the experience even more meaningful. Overall, this experience pushed me to think beyond my goals in the United States and consider how I can use my leadership and advocacy on a more global level. I am excited to implement what I learned back to my leadership roles at Spelman.

Comments

Popular Posts