Preparing for and taking a professional certification exam: NHA CCMA Exam (6 points) - Taylar Wharton
On June 18th, I took the National Healthcareer Association Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (NHA CCMA) Exam. To even qualify to take the exam, I had to complete a medical assistant training course, which took me 6 months to complete asynchronously through Emory University Continuing Education. Individually teaching myself all the content was hard because there was no one to ensure I stayed on track. It took a lot of determination, organization, and perseverance, but I was able to complete the Emory course on May 31st.
Afterwards, I studied for the NHA CCMA exam, which generally covered the same content but was more detailed. I also had to adapt to the necessary test-taking techniques in order to pass the exam. Prior to this experience, I was not a big studier and did not have specific study techniques. All of this personal studying and teaching forced me to learn what study methods work best for me, and adopt them. It also gave me dedication that will be important in all aspects of my life.
During the exam, I was nervous because I did not do the best on the practice exams; however, I ended up passing with the “above average” level in all categories! The knowledge from this course will be instrumental in shaping how I interact with the medical space. It spanned from basic knowledge such as hygiene and HIPAA to intricacies of common diseases. Learning the content was invigorating and fueled my passion to become a doctor. I hope to gain a medical assistant position in the future to exercise the skills I have learned during my course.
- Taylar Wharton
Comments
Post a Comment