Performing Arts: String Quartet Performance at a SpelHouse Wedding at Gibbs Gardens (6 pts)- Evan Crump, Class of 2028)

 



Playing in a quartet for a wedding at Gibbs Gardens was an experience that made me reflect on the ways music can carry memory, tradition, and community. While I have performed in many settings, this moment felt especially meaningful because the couple was a SpelHouse couple. Watching two people whose stories were shaped, in part, by Spelman and Morehouse begin a new chapter together reminded me that the communities we build in college can extend far beyond our years on campus.

As a musician, my role was to help create the atmosphere for one of the most important moments of their lives. It made me think differently about performance. I was not simply focused on playing the correct notes or staying in time with the other members of the quartet. I had to listen closely, adapt to the group, and understand that our collective sound was contributing to a memory the couple and their families would carry with them. In that way, the experience reinforced the importance of collaboration. A quartet only works when each musician understands both the value of their individual part and their responsibility to the larger ensemble.

Performing in the beauty of Gibbs Gardens also made the moment feel especially intentional. Surrounded by nature, family, music, and celebration, I was reminded that meaningful experiences often come from the intersection of many different forms of beauty and connection. I left the wedding thinking about how my own Spelman experience is preparing me not only to accomplish things individually, but also to contribute meaningfully to the moments, communities, and traditions that connect people to one another.


Comments

Popular Posts