OLIVIA TERRELL (C/O 27)- COMPLETED A SUMMER INTERNSHIP (5 POINTS)


During the summer, I completed an internship with the BESt Healthcare Summer Institute at Washington University, where I served as a Student Coordinator and Resident Assistant. Throughout the four-week program, I supported daily operations, worked closely with students, assisted with activities, and mentored participants interested in healthcare careers. One of the things I enjoyed most about this experience was being able to interact with students and help create an environment where they felt comfortable learning, asking questions, and exploring their future goals. One of the more challenging aspects was learning to balance multiple responsibilities while ensuring students received the support they needed.  This experience connected to my coursework and interest in healthcare because it showed how education, mentorship, and exposure to healthcare careers can work together to prepare students for future opportunities.

This internship also helped me grow personally and professionally. I strengthened my communication, leadership, organizational, and problem-solving skills while learning to work with students who had diverse personalities, experiences, and needs. I also learned more about myself as a leader and realized the importance of being patient, flexible, and willing to adjust when situations do not go exactly as planned. The experience expanded my thinking about healthcare because I was not only focused on my own career goals, but also on helping other students understand the different opportunities available to them. I can apply what I learned from this internship to future healthcare and pharmacy settings by communicating effectively with others, working as part of a team, mentoring students, and being prepared to take initiative when challenges arise.

One of the greatest strengths of the BESt Healthcare Summer Institute was the exposure and support it provided to students interested in healthcare careers. The combination of mentorship, hands-on experiences, and career exploration gave students the opportunity to learn about healthcare in ways that extended beyond the classroom. At the same time, working behind the scenes showed me how much planning, communication, and flexibility are required to make a program successful. This internship is connected to my previous experiences in healthcare, leadership, and service because each has shown me the importance of helping others access resources and opportunities. Most importantly, this experience strengthened my goals of pursuing a career in pharmacy while continuing to incorporate mentorship, public health, and health advocacy into my career. Moving forward, I plan to build on this experience by continuing to seek leadership opportunities, mentoring students interested in healthcare, and applying the skills I developed during the BESt Healthcare Summer Institute throughout pharmacy school and into my future career.


Olivia Terrell

Comments

Popular Posts