Nia Givens - Undergraduate Research Project (6 Points) - Nia Givens

Undergraduate Research Project (6 Points)

Reflection:
    

        This summer, I worked at Spelman College under the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. During this time, I worked under Dr. Kennedy Goldsborough; my job was to analyze how conditions of botanical extraction affect the phytochemical content and antioxidant capacity.  The leading strength of my project was the experience it gave me in gaining insight into how I can optimize solvent conditions and how to profile the extracts through chemical assays. These included the Folin-Ciocalteu, Ferric Reducing Antioxidant Power (FRAP), and DPPH assays. My project also demonstrated my ability to identify that sassafrass posed hepatotoxic risks, despite its high phenolic content, reflecting critical scientific decision-making.  This prompted me to consider safer potent botanicals to analyze in this context. My primary weakness was my first attempt at putting everything into my in vitro chemical assays. These did not relay an accurate reflection of cellular viability or bioactivity in live biological systems. My research directly correlates with my previous experiences in an industrial R&D experience at Cobalt Labs. During this experience, I had to apply strict protocol adherence, stability testing, and methodological precision. Through both of these experiences, a common theme appeared: that chemical recovery and antioxidant capacity do not provide a reliable method to assume efficacy or safety within complex cellular matrices. 

    When I came across this gap, it emphasized the obstacles in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. This highlighted the necessity of further assessments of drug performance in biological models. The realization of this gap helped to form my future career goals and pushed me to pursue a Ph.D. in Translation Pharmacology with a focus on maternal-fetal medicine. To develop on this learning experience, I have chosen to continue working on this project throughout the year to test extracts in oxidative stress conditions on cell models. Moreover, I have decided to widen my review of literature to link benchtop analytical chemistry with pharmacological principles.


By: Nia Givens


Comments

Popular Posts