NADAE INGHAM (CLASS OF 2027) – VOLUNTEER WORK RELATED TO CAREER GOALS: +4 PTS
Serving as an HBCU Ambassador for the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia has been a meaningful experience that connected my interests in medicine, health equity, and community advocacy. Through this role, I have had the opportunity to support outreach efforts that increase awareness of sickle cell disease and its impact on Black communities. One especially meaningful part of this work was participating in events connected to the Foundation’s community engagement efforts, including the 46th Annual Sickle Cell Road Race + Walk, which benefited Camp New Light. Experiences like this helped me see how health advocacy extends beyond the classroom and into direct community action.
One of the most important lessons I gained from this experience is that medicine is not only about diagnosing and treating disease, but also about educating, advocating, and building trust within communities. Sickle cell disease disproportionately affects people of African descent, yet it often does not receive the level of public awareness and urgency it deserves. Working with the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia showed me that advocacy is essential in closing that gap. Raising awareness, encouraging participation in events, and representing the organization as a student ambassador allowed me to contribute to a broader effort to support individuals and families affected by sickle cell disease.
This experience also deepened my understanding of how community-based health work complements what I learn in my science and health-related coursework. In class, I study genetics, disease processes, and health disparities. Through the Foundation, I have been able to see how those topics affect real communities and why public understanding matters just as much as scientific knowledge. Sickle cell disease is not only a biological condition; it is also part of a larger conversation about equity, representation, access to care, and the responsibility to advocate for historically underserved populations.
Personally, this role strengthened my communication and leadership skills. As an ambassador, I had to think about how to represent the Foundation’s mission in a way that would engage students and community members. Being involved in visible outreach efforts taught me that advocacy requires confidence, clarity, and consistency. It also showed me that even as a student, I can play a role in promoting health awareness and encouraging others to become more informed and involved.
One of the greatest strengths of this experience is that it brings together service, education, and community empowerment. Events like the Road Race + Walk do more than raise visibility—they create space for people to come together around a shared cause and support individuals living with sickle cell disease. If I were to build on this experience, I would like to become even more involved in educational outreach that helps people better understand both the science of sickle cell disease and the lived realities of those affected by it.
Overall, serving as an HBCU Ambassador for the Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia reinforced my commitment to a future in medicine that includes not only clinical care but also advocacy and community engagement. It reminded me that healthcare professionals and future physicians have a responsibility to address disparities, support public understanding, and advocate for communities whose needs are too often overlooked. This experience strengthened my desire to pursue medicine in a way that combines science, compassion, and service.
By: NaDae Ingham
Comments
Post a Comment