Kristian Caldwell- Attending an Honors Event (3pts) - Welcome Back Jam
The Honors Program Welcome Back Jam was a great opportunity to reconnect with the Honors community and start the semester in a welcoming environment. There was food, conversation, and time to meet other Honors students that I had not spoken to before. I enjoyed being able to have casual conversations outside of the classroom because it allowed me to learn more about other students, their interests, and their experiences at Spelman. Events like this make the Honors Program feel more like a community rather than just an academic program.
I also appreciated what we learned from Dr. Hite and Dr. Edward during the event. One idea that stood out to me was the connection between love, community, justice, and public service, including bell hooks’s idea that we best realize love in community. We discussed how public service requires recognizing the structures and support systems needed to actually serve communities effectively. I was especially interested in the conversation about juvenile justice and direct representation for children in prison custody, because it showed me that justice can involve directly advocating for people whose voices may not always be heard. We also discussed opportunities such as Teach for America and the Fulbright Program, which made me think more about how I can become involved in public service and use my education beyond the classroom. The Welcome Back Jam reminded me that being part of the Honors Program is not only about academic achievement, but also about building relationships, learning from others, and finding ways to use what I learn to contribute to my community.
Comments
Post a Comment