Japan Study Abroad (8 Points): Janiah Collier | Class of 2028

 My time in Japan was an experience that truly expanded the way I see the world. While there, I made so many new friends and took both Japanese language and cultural classes, which gave me the opportunity to learn about Japanese culture beyond what I could ever experience in a classroom back home. Being immersed in the culture also allowed me to reflect on how I interact with the world as a Black girl and how my identity shapes the way I experience new places and communities. 

Of course, I also had so much fun! I stepped outside of my comfort zone by traveling so far away, even though I have always wanted to go to Japan, tried new foods like Japanese curry and sea salt ice cream at Tokyo Disneyland, and created memories with people I may have never met otherwise. My time in Japan reminded me how important it is to experience cultures firsthand and remain open to unfamiliar things. I would encourage anyone who has the opportunity to travel abroad to take it. Getting outside of your comfort zone can completely expand your perspective on the world. It can even teach you something completely new about yourself. 










Comments

Popular Posts