General Museum Visit: The MET (2 points) - Taylar Wharton


 On June 9th, my family members attended the free day at the MET in New York. In New York, they have a street lined with museums that host many free days throughout the year to inspire a love of art in the community. At the time, the MET had an exhibit called “Musical Bodies,” which really intrigued me. It made many connections about how musical instruments resemble bodies and how bodies are instruments. 

I loved this exhibit because it really demonstrated the idea that music is an innately human practice. The general public typically feels like instruments and making music are so far removed from their daily practice. This exhibit allowed everyone to resonate with the instruments and understand their body as a method of making music. As a flutist, I really appreciated the latter part because, in order to play the flute well, your body has to become a part of the instrument. I also enjoyed looking at the variety of instruments!


- Taylar Wharton


Comments

Popular Posts