Completing an Internship: 5 points
This past summer, I interned at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, working in their Objects Conservation Department. My main goals for the internship were to work with cultural heritage and archeological objects, as well as learn how to do photography for conservation. I was able to rehouse a gourd that had been leaking oil for twenty years. I then worked on multiband imaging for an item in the collection. Under various levels of lighting, the surface revealed additional information. I also tested silica gels for their absorption properties and determined which type absorbed moisture in the air the fastest. Finally, I created a nail replica for a recently acquired item in the collection. Along with my projects within the department, I also networked with different faculty in the museum, along with my cohort of 39 other interns. Overall, this experience exceeded my expectations. I learned more about specializations within conservation, and additionally, how conservators become specialists in a specific material. I also got to see firsthand the collaborative efforts it takes to care for a gallery/ exhibition. From conservators to curators to construction, we are all working together to care for the collection, but also to make the public’s museum experience as memorable as possible. This internship also solidified my interest in object conservation because it allowed me to focus only on that medium’s treatment. Once I have received my bachelor's degree, my goal is to apply to a graduate conservation program. The MET internship is open to anyone interested in art or working in the art world.
Lauren Broussard
Lauren Broussard
Comments
Post a Comment