Attending a Pottery Class (Taking art classes/workshops: 4 points) - Mallory Wallace DUE SEP 30
Attending a Pottery Class (Taking art classes/workshops: 4 points) - Mallory Wallace DUE SEP 30
I recently attended a pottery class at Georgia Tech. It was my first time, so I was nervous at first, but I quickly got the hang of things. I attempted to make a bowl, which looked great on the pottery wheel, but once I began the firing process, it exploded. I later learned that this was likely because the walls of my bowl were too thick, trapping water inside the clay. As the water turned into steam during the heating process, the pressure caused the clay to expand until it eventually exploded. Although my finished product was nonexistent, the class was an amazing experience. Not only did I learn a new skill and discover a new interest, but I also had the opportunity to connect with my friends on a deeper level and find some peace in the middle of a really busy week.
I think the class reminded me of the importance of slowing down and pouring into myself. With most of my days consisting of classes, studying, and doing things for other people, I often neglect my own needs and, as a result, can feel overwhelmed at times. Taking time to do things that I genuinely enjoy is just as important. Following the class, I felt my stress levels decrease and felt more present and refreshed. Even though I didn’t leave with a finished bowl, I left with something more valuable, which was a reminder that not everything I do has to be productive or perfect to be worthwhile. Sometimes, taking time to try something new, laugh with my friends, and simply enjoy the moment is exactly what I need to reset and take care of myself.
By Mallory Wallace


Comments
Post a Comment