Attending cultural festivals or celebrations +2 (Kathya Lavado-Arrington, Class of 2028)
During this school year, I am continuing my work as a student teacher and English as a Second Language Program Assistant at Hollis Innovation Academy. As an ESOL Program Assistant, my job is to not only make sure that my students feel comfortable while learning, but also feel seen outside the classroom. Hispanic Heritage Month is a celebration of Hispanic culture and histories that lasts throughout September 15th to October 15th. I decided to celebrate my group of students by decorating a corner of their classroom hallway that represented where they were from with vibrant colors and flags.
The students were excited to see their cultures represented in their school, and I loved watching them point out their countries and share where their families were from. It reminded me that something as simple as decorating a hallway can make students feel seen and proud of where they come from. This connected to what I have been learning in my sociology courses about how schools shape students’ identities and experiences, and I made sure that they had a space for them to express themselves in a space where they can at times feel isolated.

Comments
Post a Comment