
This past summer I had an amazing opportunity to spend a month in Philadelphia at the STEP UP Program at Thomas Jefferson University School of Rehabilitative Sciences. During the program we engages in a multitude of clinics, rotating between courses about rehabilitative including physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, speech language pathology, and orthopedic care. I engaged in clinical labs and worked with my peers in a research group revolving physical and occupational therapy in sports, where in our project, we focused on a brain-injured football player. This experience was essential for my growth professionally. I was able to network with many professionals within rehabilitative healthcare, and provide clarity to myself of what my own interests were. Going into this program I was not sure what to expect, but I definitely believe that I took away much more than what was expected.
The STEP-UP program at Thomas Jefferson University really pushed my development by placing me in a space where I had to think beyond just being a student and start operating like someone preparing for a career in medicine and research. It gave me exposure to more advanced academic expectations and helped me better understand how research, healthcare, and real-world impact all connect. Because of my interests in global health, rehabilitation, and disparities in care, the program helped me see how I can actually apply those interests in a structured, professional setting. It also strengthened my confidence in being in spaces with other high-achieving students and professionals, which is important as I continue toward graduate school and an MD.
- Ashe' Kelsey
Comments
Post a Comment