Traveling to a Culturally Significant Place (Class of 2027) (6 points):
Traveling to a Culturally Significant Place (Class of 2027) (6 points):
Reflection:
Over spring break, I got the opportunity to travel to the Dominican Republican specifically Punta Cana. This was such an amazing experience, a large group of us were able to participate in such a fun culture and place. Our boat tour wasn’t just for relaxation and views; we got to learn about the culture of the country and the history. Thinking back on my discussions in ADW and the diaspora of Africans from Africa, it was unique to hear about how the culture has developed over time, compared to what I know from ADW. One of my favorite parts abou the ride was getting to eat real authentic Dominican food. The food was amazing and I am still thinking about it to this day! The immersive nature of the experience was one of its best features. Through storytelling, music, and food, we were actively interacting with the culture. Because of this, it felt more genuine and intimate than merely instructive. Additionally, I liked how the guides made connections between history and contemporary culture, which made it simpler to comprehend how the Dominican Republic has changed over time. Even though we were exposed to significant cultural components, there wasn't always enough time or depth to thoroughly examine the intricacies of the past, particularly when considering subjects like colonization and the African diaspora. I believe that rather than just listening, the experience could have been enhanced by adding more in-depth storytelling or even chances for more in-depth questions and discussions. Learning about the Dominican Republic's history and culture helped me understand some of the things we talk about in class, cultures mixing, resisiting oppression, and the lasting effects of colonization. As we experienced and discussed Dominican culture, I was able to see the African influences in the cultures in the food, traditions, and music even still. Seeing it in person was truly an amazing experience. It also made me think about how people from different cultures in the diaspora are alike, which shows how history can bring people together in different parts of the world. My experience in Punta Cana and on this boat tour has changed my perspective on traveling and culture. This encounter undoubtedly changed my perspective on travel and cultural interaction. It helped me realize that, instead of just observing, I prefer experiences that allow me to truly learn and connect. In the future, I want to be more deliberate about looking for chances to interact deeply with various cultures, whether it be through travel, education, or interpersonal interactions. Additionally, it inspired me to keep relating what I learn in the classroom to real-world situations since that's when the knowledge truly begins to stick and make sense.By: Nia Givens
Comments
Post a Comment