Taking art classes/workshops: 4 points


I took an art and cooking class while abroad in Cozumel, Mexico which offered a deeper understanding of how creative expression and cuisine can be used as living records of culture. A key idea emphasized throughout the experience was that both art and food are not just aesthetic practices, but forms of historical preservation. We explored how Mayan traditions continue to influence modern techniques, ingredients, and cultural practice. One aspect highlighted was the resilience of cultural identity despite colonization and globalization. This challenged my previous assumption that art and cooking evolve independently of history. I began to see them as intentional acts of storytelling and resistance. 

Personally, this experience contributed to my growth by pushing me to engage more thoughtfully with cultural practices. I learned to slow down and appreciate the meaning behind techniques, whether it was the preparation of a traditional dish or the patterns used in visual art. It also made me more aware of my role as a learner and visitor abroad. While abroad, it is important to recognize, respect, and remain open minded when encountering other cultures. 

In terms of application, this experience reinforced the value of cultural sustainability in a globalized world. I can apply what I learned by supporting authentic cultural practices, being mindful of cultural appropriation, and advocating for the preservation of traditions in my own community. 

- Zaria Samuel

Comments

Popular Posts