Natalia Del Pino - Presenting at a Career Related Conference (+6 Points)

 



I presented on the history of  HBCUs at the National Association for College Admission Counseling conference as a representative of Spelman College. This experience brought together admissions professionals, counselors, and institutional leaders from across the country to engage in conversations about access, equity, and the evolving landscape of higher education. The primary focus of my presentation was to highlight the historical significance of HBCUs, their enduring impact on Black educational advancement, and their continued relevance in supporting diverse student populations.

I found this experience to be both empowering and intellectually grounding. Presenting in a national professional space required me to step into a role not only as a student leader but also as an educator and advocate. While speaking to a room of experienced admissions professionals was initially intimidating, I felt confident in my ability to share the legacy and importance of HBCUs with clarity and passion. It was especially meaningful to contribute to a broader conversation about college access and representation, knowing that my voice could influence how institutions support students of color.

This experience is deeply connected to themes in my coursework related to educational equity, systemic inequality, and culturally responsive institutions. Discussing the history of HBCUs, from their founding in response to exclusionary practices to their present-day impact, reinforced concepts I have explored in both psychology and education courses about the role institutions play in shaping opportunity and identity. It also highlighted the importance of understanding historical context when addressing contemporary disparities in higher education.

Engaging with conference attendees allowed me to see how my academic learning translates into real-world advocacy and professional dialogue. I appreciated the opportunity to hear from admissions counselors and educators who are actively working to increase access for underrepresented students. These interactions expanded my perspective on the college admissions process and affirmed my interest in working within educational systems that prioritize equity and inclusion.

Participating in this presentation contributed significantly to my personal and professional growth. I strengthened my public speaking skills, learned how to communicate complex historical and social concepts to a professional audience, and gained confidence in my ability to represent both my institution and a broader educational mission. This experience affirmed my identity as a leader committed to advocacy, education, and social impact.

The skills and insights I gained from presenting at the NACAC conference are directly applicable to my future work in education and social work. Understanding the historical and systemic factors that shape educational access is essential to supporting students and families effectively. This experience reinforced my commitment to using education as a tool for empowerment and to continuing to advocate for institutions, like HBCUs, that have long been at the forefront of equity and opportunity.

Comments

Popular Posts