Creating Original Artwork (Class of 2027) (5 points)

Creating Original Artwork (Class of 2027) (5 points)

Reflection:

This year, as I continue on my journey to be better than myself, I have engaged in trying to find a new hobby that will take me away from my phone. As someone who has been very interested in arts and crafts and hands-on activities, I’ve been trying out a lot of different art forms, but drawing and painting are not my strongest suits. I have been experimenting with them, but my recent fixation is candle making, which isn’t as much of a fine art, but it is a way to express yourself through creativity and create something beautiful. I got my inspiration after attending an event here on campus where I got to hear Terri Johnson, the founder of the Harlem candle company, talk about her joy of making candles, and how she tells the story of the Harlem Renaissance through her scents. In my journey to make my own candles, I have also tried to create art by telling stories through my candles. My most recent candle is my favorite so far, as it has come out the best. I wanted to tell the story of my Spelman legacy. Much of my family has gone to Spelman, and it is a very big part of my family history. This candle was my interpretation of my family’s legacy at Spelman; while it might not look much to other people, it holds much meaning to me. On my journey making candles, I’ve learned a lot about myself and about art as well. I’ve learned that art is subjective to the individual, and that is about you and what you pour into your work, and not just about what you produce. Before, I associated art mostly with traditional forms, but this challenged my thinking by showing me that art can exist in many different forms, even in something like candlemaking. My perspective was broadened by the idea that creativity is not restricted to what is commonly referred to as "art." You can tell a story through scent and design. Additionally, it made me less constrained by what I believe I am "good" at and more willing to experiment with new forms of expression. Because it forced me to step outside of my comfort zone and gave me a fresh perspective on creativity, this activity helped me grow both personally and academically. I discovered that I enjoy giving my work purpose rather than just finishing tasks for the sake of finishing them. It relates to my academic views on expression and storytelling, particularly in contexts like Spelman where culture and identity are significant.


By: Nia Givens

Comments

Popular Posts