Rooted in Service-Haderah Phillips (Attending Honors Program events 3 points)

 On November 8, I attended the community service event "PLANTLANTA: Tree Planting with the honors program". Before this community service event, I thought planting trees was mostly about the environment. I knew it was important, but I did not fully understand how meaningful it could feel. Participating in planting trees with my Spelman sisters changed that for me. It became an experience about teamwork, care, and feeling connected to something bigger than myself. From the moment we arrived around 9am, there was a quiet excitement in the air, since for many of us it was our first time planting trees and we did not know what to expect. We were given simple tools and small young trees, each fragile but full of potential. As we worked side by side, digging holes and placing the trees carefully into the ground, I realized how much trust is involved in this process. We were planting something that we might not see fully grown, but we believed it would matter in the future. That thought stayed with me throughout the day. Everyone was split into groups and in my group I worked along side my two sisters. We helped each other when the ground was hard, shared tools, and encouraged one another when we felt tired. There was laughter, conversation, and moments of silence where we were all focused on the same goal. Planting trees together showed me how small actions become powerful when people come together. Each tree we planted felt like a shared promise.

    The act of planting felt deeply meaningful because it showed how our shared effort helps keep the world alive. Trees give us the air we breathe, and by planting them we were actively contributing to the life that keeps us here on Earth. It also reminded me that helping the community does not always require big gestures. Sometimes it is about patience, effort, and showing up. Just like the trees, our service started small, but has the chance to grow into something lasting. By the end of the event, I felt proud, not only of the work we had done, but of the connection we built with each other with nature. The trees now stand as a reminder of cooperation, responsibility, and hope. This experience taught me that community service is about growing within ourselves. I will always remember this day as a moment where I learned that when we plant together, we grow together too.

-Haderah Phillips

-Haderah Phillips

Comments

Popular Posts