Natalia Del Pino - Attending Cultural Festivals or celebrations (+2 points)

 

I attended Spelman Day at the Capitol as a representative of the Spelman College Ambassador Program. This event brought together Spelman students, alumnae, faculty, and state legislators to engage in dialogue about public policy, civic engagement, and issues impacting higher education and Black women. The primary focus of the event was advocacy, leadership, and the role of Spelman women in shaping policy and social change. I found this experience to be empowering and affirming. Representing Spelman College in a professional and political space reinforced the responsibility that comes with being a student leader and ambassador. While navigating a formal legislative environment was initially intimidating, I felt proud to stand alongside other Spelman women advocating for educational equity and community advancement. This experience connected to themes in my coursework related to civic engagement, educational policy, and social justice. Observing how legislation directly impacts educational access and resources reinforced concepts discussed in education and psychology courses regarding systemic influences on individual and community outcomes. The event also highlighted the practical application of advocacy skills beyond the classroom. We were one of many groups at the Capitol, and I enjoyed seeing many other advocacy groups that were working across Georgia to make changes I align with. I also met many students from the Master of Social Work program I am interested in. I found it reassuring to know that this institution encourages its students to be involved in politics. Participating in this event contributed to my personal and professional growth by strengthening my confidence in formal advocacy settings. I became more aware of how to communicate effectively, represent an institution with integrity, and engage in meaningful dialogue with policymakers. This experience affirmed my identity as a leader committed to equity and public service. The skills and insights gained from Spelman Day at the Capitol are directly applicable to my future work in education and social work. Advocacy and policy awareness are essential components of addressing systemic inequities that affect students and families. This experience reinforced the importance of civic engagement and informed my commitment to using my voice to advance educational and social justice.

Comments

Popular Posts