Elena Valdez: Attending the "What is Research” workshop (LINCS Scholars Program + The Leadership Alliance) (2 points)

 · Attending a career-related workshop or seminar: 2 points


On Thursday, January 29th, I attended the "What is Research” workshop presented by the LINCS Scholars program in partnership with The Leadership Alliance. This event was facilitated by Dr. Alisa Griffin and Dr. Patrice Cuff, the program managers of the LINCS and food studies scholars programs. I attended this workshop because I was interested in learning more about the application process for the Leadership Alliance summer program, since I am applying to this program within the next couple of days. This activity contributed to my academic development because it provided keen insight into what summer programs, specifically those for research, are looking for. As a first year student with limited research experience, I wanted more information into how to best position myself as a desirable candidate for summer research. Towards the end of the event, I had the opportunity to speak one-on-one with the presenters and ask specific questions about the personal statement component of the application. This personalized feedback was instrumental to making my application as strong as possible. Overall, attending this workshop gave me important insight into how to apply to research programs in the STEM field, particularly as an undergraduate student.

Elena Valdez, C'O 2029

Comments

Popular Posts